Monday, June 24, 2019

Easy Classroom Hacks: Timelines

I love reading about classroom hacks! I'm always looking for an easier way of doing something, either to save time, money, or both. I thought you might enjoy discovering some of the hacks I use in my classroom.

Today's hack involves sentence strips and colored pencils. That's it! Things that you normally have in your classroom. Have you ever thought of using these to create time lines?  By folding a long sentence strip 3 times, you get 8 squares. I have my students use the first one as a title page, then the other 7 to sequence historical events (or events in a novel that we're reading). 

Students write a title for each event (including the date), draw a picture to show what happened, and then either write a summary on the back or use pre-made text boxes that I give them to match the event with the details. This is perfect for an end of unit review or assessment!

Check out our American Revolution time lines!




Try using sentence strips to sequence events in a mentor text, show the order of events in a historical time period, steps in a science experiment and/or life cycle, or how to solve a multi-stepped math problem. The options are endless! 

I'd love to hear back from you - how did you use this hack in your class?

Happy Teaching - Martha from "The Owl Spot"
www.teacherspayteachers.com/store/the-owl-spot
www.instagram.com/theowlspot
www.the-owl-spot.blogspot.com

No comments: