Sunday, July 10, 2022

My Favorite Classroom Read Aloud

I think my favorite read aloud for school is Jon Scieszka's "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs." If you've never read it, you need to stop what you're doing now (well, after you read my post) and read it! I'll post a link at the bottom of this post for a YouTube read aloud of it. 

Scieszka seems to write with a bit of sarcasm that my 5th graders get. One of my favorite parts is when the wolf tries to explain why he eats the pigs: "If cheeseburgers were cute, people would think you were big and bad, too!"

The story ends with the wolf pleading for the reader to believe his side of the story. Lots of discussion here about whether or not the character is believable. There's plenty of ways to teach reading comprehension throughout the book. 

Since my students love this book as much as I do, I continued the story in a Readers' Theater play. The play picks up where the book leaves off. The wolf is being interviewed by the media about what happened. He, again, tries to argue his case while one of the pigs is defending his side. Super cheeky! 

If you want the script for your students, click on the link below. It's available in my TpT store. Included with the script are a bunch of reading comprehension activities to do with the script. My kids favorite activity is always having to choose the wolf's jury from a bunch of fairy tale land characters. 

My students are ALWAYS engaged in learning with these. One teacher told me that she landed an amazing observation when her principal observed while her kids were busy with these activities! You can't go wrong!










For more great readers' theater scripts from The Owl Spot, click HERE

To listen to a read aloud of "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" click HERE.

As always, happy teaching!

Martha from "The Owl Spot"

No comments: