Thursday, February 26, 2015

Warm Up and Chill Out! Test Taking Strategies



I don't know about you, but I am SOOO ready for spring!  Up here in Northeast Ohio, we've had enough snow to last a couple winters.  I know those of you in the Boston area have had a little more, but I'm a southern gal at heart, and miss my flip flops!  Well, the awesome teachers over at The Lesson Deli are going to try to get that cold blood flowing in your veins with a Test Prep Blog Hop.  Hopping is exercise, right???

Are your kids getting cabin fever, too?  For some reason, cabin fever always comes during testing, which adds to every teachers' frustration.  I remember so many times thinking "I know they knew that!  They just weren't thinking!"

I finally figured out something key:  if I prep my students well from day 1, using sound, research based teaching, testing day becomes just another day.  I always tell my students that the test is a celebration of everything they have learned during the year.  Be excited to show what you know and how you've learned to think this year.  I've actually seen some students breathe a sigh of relief as they changed their thinking about tests.

One tool that I've started using this year that has been an amazing resource is my "Vocabu-Ladders."  I found that my students really struggled with vocabulary.  They could memorize a definition (sometimes), but usage was horrible!  They were using nouns as adverbs and adjectives, and it pained me to grade their papers.  After using these Vocabu-Ladders, their scores improved, they were actually learning how to use the words, and they were learning how to think.




You can download a free copy of my Vocabu-ladders here:  (they are only free for a limited time; they are normally $1.50).  The download includes the graphic organizer and a set of task cards.


Other test prep items you may be interested in:

                   


Make sure to enter my raffle for a $15 Target gift card below, and then hop right on over to the Lesson Deli blog to enter the big raffles.  If you haven't hopped through my other teacher friends' blogs, make sure to - they have some amazing test prep ideas and products.  Many of the blogs have their own raffles, too!







14 comments:

Kim said...

Whew! What don't we do to get ready for testing?? We play lots of games-Jeopardy, 25,000 Pyramid Reviews, Are You Smarter Than a ...? Each of the ELA teachers in our school takes an area to review-for ex. literary analysis, writing compositions, etc. Lots of task card games too!

Kim said...

Following you on Bloglovin'! One our favorite test prep ideas is also Kahoot games.

Karen H said...

I play review games. I also have students complete an assignment on their own. When they are finished they go over the assignment with their group to come up with the best answer. They have great discussions on why this answer is correct as opposed to this answer. This shows which students are understanding the concepts and gives the students who don't understand another chance at the concept. I give the groups one point for each correct answer. To keep all students engaged, I will periodically take all assignments up and give bonus points to groups who have all assignments complete.

Purple Palmetto said...

We are in test mode already. Our students test next week. Eeek! The teachers I work with have shared many wonderful resources with one another to get our students ready. We have task card scavenger hunts. We also play the typical basketball, baseball games. Lots of whiteboard challenges. We don't have tons of technology, but we do use Kahoot a bit. Following you on Bloglovin. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I tell them all year long that the 1st one done is not the winner but the one that does his best is! Review all year old!

Erika Bell said...

I remind my students that how they communicate their answers on paper is like an X-ray into their brains. It helps us, as teachers, know what's going on in there because we can't REALLY look inside. I try to let them know that it's just a way for us to determine what we as teachers still need to work on to help take the pressure off them. Then they want to perform well so you can "look inside" their heads.

Kylie said...

Thank you for a fun giveaway during a not so fun time of year for teachers! We made up songs and riddles to remember lots of the strategies needed for standardized testing. Kids had loads of fun being creative and reviewing necessary info at the same time. Following you on bloglovin too.

Callie W. said...

Great suggestions above! We review a few weeks prior to testing with games using task cards, puzzle pieces, and online/interactive games like Kahoot and Jeopardy. We have a party beforehand as well to celebrate the knowledge the students possess. Fun treats and messages are shared by the students.

Tina said...

We have to give practice tests :(

The only good thing is that they help the kiddos have exposure to the online tools that will be available to them (I.e. highlighter, striker bar, etc). It also gives them a chance to experience the test questions.

Markisha said...

Play games, do daily reviews, make reviewing and learning fun

Alexa said...

My students are hard workers, so I appreciate that. We play games (Jeopardy, White Board Relay) prior to standardized testing weeks to refresh their knowledge. I let them know that they know their stuff and the test will be a breeze!

Alexa said...

Following you on bloglovin. :) My students love to use QR code task cards to review for testing too.

Michelle said...

I try to make it as fun as possible even though it's a crazy part of the school year. I tell my fourth graders that the tests are easy and that all the fun games and activities we do in class like test dancing, Jeopardy, Family Fued, and singing reviews have set them up for success. I love that they are true believers in themselves.

Michelle said...

Following on Bloglovin'. My favorite test prep idea came from a colleague years ago. She had the kids go outside and write positive messages about tests in chalk all around the school building. Kids loved the big chalk and the chance to get outside.